Pumpkin season is well in effect at Tara’s Busy Kitchen right now. Last week I presented my recipe for Spiced Pumpkin Muffins With Cream Cheese Frosting and this week it’s this delicious Creamy Pumpkin Pasta with Rosemary and Walnuts.
Most of my readers will know that I love cooking with seasonal and where possible, local produce. A trip to my local farmers market is a must each week so as to be able to pick up cheap, organic and in-season veggies. My market is well served by two local and certified organic farms so I am very lucky. What one stall doesn’t have the other will which is great when you want to stock up at all edible goodies in season right now. Think dark leafy greens, corn on the cob and of course my beloved orange friend of the kitchen, the pumpkin. I have created so many recipes over the years using pumpkin I have lost count.
This recipe uses canned pumpkin although if you have time to create a homemade batch of pumpkin purée then be my guest. I wanted to keep this recipe quick and above all simple. Its inspiration comes from my Pretty In Pink Pasta recipe which takes about as long to prepare as boiling the pasta. For the recipe click here.
This pasta dish is for all of you out there who like me enjoy the flavours of autumn. What’s great about this recipe is that it takes approximately 20 minutes from start to finish and packs a punch in the flavour department. I also adore the contrast in textures this recipe brings. Think smooth and silky sauce smothered pasta topped with crunchy bites of toasted walnut. What’s more, walnuts are a source of Omega-3 fatty acids which are important for your body and brain and can help fight things like depression and anxiety and a whole host of other things. So get sprinkling!
I hope you love this recipe as much as I do. As someone who is always on the go and forever chasing my tail, it’s good to know you have an armoury of really good, tasty, simple and healthy recipes stored. Serve this pasta alongside a seasonal kale salad. Delicious.
- 2 tbsp olive oil
- 4 cloves garlic, finely chopped
- 1 tin pumpkin purée
- 1 cup creme fraiche
- 1-2 tsp seasalt
- Freshly ground black pepper
- Pinch chilli flakes
- Juice of 1 lemon
- 1 cup chopped walnuts
- 1 tbsp finely chopped fresh rosemary
- 1 tbsp melted butter
- 1 tbsp brown sugar
- Parmesan cheese, grated to garnish
- 1/2 tsp seasalt
- Packet of Rigatoni pasta (or similar shape)
- Preheat oven to 375F/Gas 5/190C. Arrange chopped walnuts on a sheet pan and toast in the hot oven for 8-10 minutes. Remove from the oven and toss in the melted butter, rosemary, sugar and salt. Set aside.
- Cook pasta according to packet instructions.
- While the pasta cooks heat the olive oil in a frying pan. Add the garlic and cook until fragrant. Do not brown the garlic. As soon as it releases its aroma add the canned pumpkin purée, chilli and creme fraiche. Add salt, pepper and lemon juice. Stir well to combine.
- Drain the pasta reserving 1 cup of cooking water. Add pasta to the pumpkin sauce and loosen with cooking water if required.
- Serve the pasta topped with the toasted walnuts and grated Parmesan.