I recently spent a week in Sardinia and ate the inspiration behind this dish in a little restaurant in Bosa. This restaurant was a mere stones throw from our Air B&B apartment and in my opinion the best in town. Something similar was on the menu as their house side dish. Roasted aubergine with a traditional pesto dressing but to make it my own (and put a little English twist on it) I decided on a delicious kale pesto.
Serve this as a side dish, on top of your favourite pasta or as a topping for bruschetta. So delicious… don’t forget that the Kale pesto can be served on its own too. Just stir into pasta.
- 2 aubergines cut into wedges
- Olive oil
- Salt and pepper
- For the pesto
- 2 cups torn kale (no stems) and parsley, combined
- ½ cup olive oil
- ¼ teaspoon salt (more to taste)
- 1 clove garlic
- Juice of one lemon
- ¼ to ½ cup almonds
- Preheat oven to 200C/gas 6
- Place aubergine wedges on a baking sheet, toss in olive oil and season with salt and pepper.
- Roast for 45-55 minutes or until soft turning halfway through cooking.
- Meanwhile, pulse the kale, oilve oil, salt, garlic, and lemon juice in a food processor until smooth.
- Add the almonds and pulse until the almonds are ground to desired consistency. I like mine quite chunky.
- Lay the aubergines on a serving platter and drizzle with the Kale pesto. Hey presto! You have a delicious and versatile side dish.