These Summer Nachos are fresh, light and tasty and the best addition to a weekend drink with friends or as part of a garden lunch. I have chosen not to pile my recipe with beans or beef chilli but keep it light to maximise the crunch of the Mister Free’d cheezie tortillas. For me, I want that crunch when I eat nachos and this recipe does maximise that.
To keep the crunch you have to think less is more here. A bit like a really great pizza. If you don’t want a soggy base don’t go crazy with the toppings to serve. The extras like sour cream and guacamole can be added at the table. My Mister Free’d tortillas are simply topped with good quality cheddar cheese from a local maker, fresh tomatoes, finely chopped red chilli, avocado and crumbled feta cheese. Everything is prettied up with a sprinkling of fresh coriander.
I bet you didn’t know that Google searches for “healthy snacks” have gone up 110% throughout lockdown according to medical service Flawless.org and Mister Free’d tortillas are doing their bit to give bigger brands like Doritos a run for their money. Mister Free’d tortillas are vegan, gluten, GMO and lactose-free, made from carefully selected, natural ingredients and are high in fibre and protein. On top of all that they are really tasty. With Mister Free’d Cheezie Tortillas containing almost double the fibre and less than half the salt of Doritos Tangy Cheese I already know that I am making a sensible choice.
For this recipe, I used the Mister Free’d cheezie tortillas but you could equally use their blue maize variety. I have used the blue maize tortillas in a unique way too; little nacho canapés. Bite-sized nibbles for a drinks party perhaps when the lockdown is lifted?
- 1 bag Tortilla chips I used Mister Free'd Cheezie flavour
- Good quality cheddar cheese grated. As much or as little as you like
- 250 g cherry tomatoes chopped in quarters
- 1 thick slice of red onion finely chopped
- 30 g fresh coriander
- 1 small red chilli thinly sliced
- 1 ripe avocado peeled and thinly sliced
- 75 g feta cheese crumbled
- Salt and black pepper to taste
- Olive oil
- Sour cream
- Tumble the tortilla chips onto a serving platter that will withstand grilling. Top with as much good quality grated cheddar cheese as you fancy. Pre heat your grill and set the tortilla chips aside.
- In a small bowl add the chopped cherry tomatoes, chopped red onion, half of the coriander roughly chopped, a pinch of salt and a good grinding of black pepper and drizzle with good quality olive oil. Mix together.
- Pick the rest of the leaves from the stems from the coriander and set aside.
- Place the cheese covered tortilla chips under the grill until the cheese is just melted. Carefully remove.
- Top the cheese covered tortilla chips with the tomato and onion mixture, sliced avocado, sliced red chilli and crumble the feta cheese over the top. Finely sprinkle with the coriander leaves. Serve immediately.
Disclaimer: I was kindly sent some Mister Free’d tortilla chips to sample. I wasn’t paid for this post and all views are my own as always.