Who doesn’t enjoy a classic Victoria sponge? I can’t name one person I know who would turn their nose up at a slice of this buttery, light sponge. The combination of good quality jam and clouds of whipped cream is a winner in my book. The perfect celebration cake. With Mothers Day and Easter celebrations just around the corner, as well as a few family birthdays on the horizon I feel I will be baking this cake a lot over the coming weeks.
The traditional Victoria Sponge usually uses raspberry jam but my version here is with my favourite jam at the moment, Bonne Maman Rhubarb and Strawberry jam. I like to fill and top my sponge with whipped cream which might not be to everyone’s taste so if you fancy a buttercream filling or simply just the jam the call is yours to make. Me being me obviously had to use rose petals for decoration. Yes, my obsession still continues and believe they make everything so pretty! Of course, you can decorate how you see fit.. a dusting of icing sugar, some edible glitter, the world is your oyster.
Want To Know More About This Delicious Rhubarb and Strawberry Conserve?
Delicately pink in colour, this new conserve from the French conserve specialist is a perfect marriage of two of Britain’s favourite summer flavours. Rhubarb & Strawberry offers the perfect balance of distinctively sharp, quality rhubarb with a top note of sumptuously sweet strawberries, picked at their ripest and then gently cooked in natural cane sugar with a touch of lemon juice and fruit pectin.
A little jar of sunshine adding an aromatic, flavourful hint of natural sweetness to breakfast time, Bonne Maman’s luscious new Rhubarb & Strawberry Conserve is delicious spread on warm French croissants or golden toast and offers an inspired new breakfast taste sensation when swirled into porridge or spooned on top of fresh yoghurt.
As with all Bonne Maman quality conserves, the all natural ingredients and distinctive soft texture of Rhubarb & Strawberry makes it wonderful for use in home baking; adding moisture to sponges, layering throughout bakes and adding a fruity twist to desserts.
Unmistakable with its signature red and white gingham lid, new Bonne Maman Rhubarb & Strawberry Conserve is available in Asda and Morrisons from March and will be on the shelf with other national retailers plus Ocado and independent fine food stores during the Summer, at RRP £2.59 per 370gm jar.
Back To The Victoria Sponge…..
- 200g caster sugar
- 200g softened butter
- 4 eggs, beaten
- 200g self raising flour
- 1 tsp baking powder
- 2 tbsp milk
- Half a jar of your favourite jam. I used Bonne Maman
- 200ml Double cream
- 200ml Double cream
- Rose petals
- Heat oven to 190C/fan 170C/gas 5. Butter two 20cm sandwich tins and line with non-stick baking paper.
- In a large bowl, beat all the cake ingredients together until you have a smooth batter.
- Divide the mixture between the tins, smooth the surface with a spatula or the back of a spoon. Bake for 20-25 mins until golden and the cake springs back when pressed and when a skewer is inserted it comes out clean.
- Turn onto a cooling rack and leave to cool completely.
- Whip the double cream
- Spread the jam on the bottom of one sponge and the whipped cream on the other. Sandwich together.
- Top with more whipped cream and sprinkle with dried rose petals.