The sun has finally come back out after a long and dreary winter. Yes, it may still only be the end of February but spring really does feel like it’s on the way. There is actual warmth in the sun when you dodge the shadows and the days are beginning to draw out.
So, this week I decided to celebrate the fact spring was on its way with a rather lovely yet simple dessert or treat recipe. This No Churn Ice Cream Sandwich recipe really takes no effort and looks spectacular. The only effort would be in the whisking of the cream mixture if you didn’t have an electric whisk but even that work out would be worth it.
Once the ingredients are mixed together and fluffy and light, all you have to do is freeze until firm, cut out little ice cream discs with a cookie cutter and place it between the two halves of a jam and cream biscuit. To be honest, you could use any biscuit here that could be split in two. Think Jammy Dodger or Oreo. I just liked the hint of red jam peeking through and the fluted edges for my recipe. Especially as I added frozen raspberries and crushed amaretti biscuits to my ice cream mix.
Don’t they look adorable? The perfect compact dessert, summer afternoon treat or even birthday tea pudding. I can’t wait to get experimenting with other ice cream and biscuit flavour combinations. The list is endless.
Let me know in the comments section if you make them. Also any ice cream and biscuit flavour changes you make. I am always up for trying out your ideas.
Tara Makes - No Churn Ice Cream Sandwiches
- cookie cutter
- Electric whisk
- 600 ml double cream
- 200 g condensed milk about 1/2 can
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- 1 packet Jam and cream sandwich biscuits
Optional add ins
- 1 cup frozen raspberries
- 1 cup crushed amaretti biscuits
- In a large bowl using an electric whisk, whisk together the double cream, condensed milk and vanilla extract until it’s stiff.
- Mix in the frozen raspberries and crushed amaretti biscuits if using.
- Pour the mixture into a lidded tuppaware and place in the freezer until completely frozen. Approximately 6-8 hours or over night.
- Once the no churn ice cream is completely frozen take it out of the freezer for 10 minutes before slicing into 2cm slices. Using a cookie cutter similar in size to your jam and cream biscuit cut out ice cream discs and place on a baking sheet covered with baking parchment. If the ice cream starts to melt place the cut ice cream discs into the freezer for 10 minutes to firm up.
- Using a small knife carefully slice the jam and cream biscuits through the middle to create the two outer layers of your no churn ice cream sandwich. Place a disc of ice cream in the middle of the two halves and enjoy straight away. Alternatively place back in the freezer until needed.