Inspiration for this fresh salad came from my vegetable box from Shillingford Organics. There have been so many delicious courgettes this summer and a lot of people don’t know that they are delicious raw as well as cooked.
When served in their raw state they are crunchy, refreshing and sit really well with the tang of the lemon and the creaminess of the ricotta cheese. For anyone out there who is yet to try raw courgettes, this salad is the perfect introduction. What’s more, it’s simple to make which always pleases me. Great with grilled fish, a steak or even on its own with some crusty bread. Give it a go. You won’t be disappointed.
- 6 small courgettes
- 1 tub of fresh ricotta cheese
- Juice from one lemon
- ¼ cup olive oil
- Salt, pepper
- Handful of fresh mint, chopped
- Slice the courgettes into very thin slices.
- Lay the courgettes in one layer on a large platter.
- Pour the lemon juice on top. Sprinkle with salt and gently toss.
- Let the courgettes sit in the lemon juice for at least an hour (preferably two).
- To serve: Drizzle with olive oil. Taste and adjust for salt and pepper.
- Scatter herbs on top and then dollop with fresh ricotta.