This great dip is an alternative to traditional hummus and there isn’t a chickpea in sight. Just delicious organic squash with a few traditional hummus flavourings. This dip is perfect for the festive period whilst we are all in the entertaining zone. Dip your organic crudités and yummy pita bread in and enjoy. I have even used this dip like a pate and piled it high on hot buttered toast.. how good goes that sound?
- 500g squash , peeled and cut into 4-5cm chunks
- 4 large garlic cloves, bashed
- 2 tbsp olive oil or rapeseed oil
- 1 small orange, juiced, zest finely grated
- Juice of ½ lemon
- 3 tbsp tahini (sesame seed paste)
- Sea salt and freshly ground black pepper
- Heat the oven to 200C/400F/gas mark 6. Put the squash, garlic and oil in a roasting tin, season and roast for 30-35 minutes, giving the squash a good stir halfway through, until tender and starting to caramelise at the edges. Remove from the oven and leave to cool slightly.
- Tip the squash into a food processor. Squeeze the garlic cloves out of their skins and put these in, too, along with any oil from the tin. Add the orange zest and juice, lemon juice, tahini and some salt and pepper, and process to a coarse purée. Add more lemon juice and seasoning as necessary. Serve the hummus warm or at room temperature, with crudités or warm pitta bread or flatbreads.