Inspired by all the rainbow images in peoples windows as I take my daily walk, I decided to whip up a batch of simple cupcakes. The recipe is an easy one but I pimped it up slightly with ￼a handful of brightly coloured rainbow sprinkles. The rainbow sprinkles when folded into the cake batter create little specks of colour when you cut or bite into your cupcake. That simple little addition really did create the most wonderful rainbow effect.
The rainbows began cropping up in the windows of Italian households as Covid-19 took hold of the country with the slogan “Andrà tutti bene” – everything will be alright. This rainbow image has since spread across the whole globe and is appearing in windows everywhere. I love the sense of hope and solidarity it brings. Everything will be alright. We just need to be patient.
My rainbow cupcakes are a little sentimental nod to the people of the world who are struggling right now. They brought me much joy when I was baking them and much joy whilst eating them.
This recipe is simple enough to get your children involved if you are searching for fun activities to do together. A quick mix of ingredients and a short while in the oven and “Bob’s your uncle” you have yourself a delicious homemade treat. They can be eaten as plain little sweet buns or decorate with a simple butter icing and a few more sprinkles for good measure.
Ingredients for the cupcakes
- 110 g butter
- 110 g caster sugar
- 110 g self raising flour
- 2 eggs
- 1 tsp vanilla essence
- 1-2 tbsp of single cream or full fat milk
- 2 tbsp multicoloured sprinkles
For the topping
- 140 g very soft butter
- 280 g icing sugar
- 1-2 tbsp single cream or full fat milk
- Multicoloured sprinkles for decoration
- Line a 12 hole muffin tin with 9 paper muffin cases and preheat the oven to 180C/gas 4
- Cream the butter and sugar together in a large bowl using an electric whisk. Add in the eggs and vanilla and beat together.
- Fold in the flour using a large metal spoon. Add a little single cream or milk here until you have a dropping consistency. Fold in your sprinkles. Be careful not to over mix or the colour at run.
- Spoon the mixture into your lined muffin tin so each paper case is approximately half full.
- Bake in the oven for about 15 minutes or until golden brown. Set aside and leave to cool completely before icing.
- For the butter icing, beat the butter in a large bowl until really soft. Add half of the icing sugar and mix well.
- Add the remaining flour and your cream of milk and beat until smooth.
- Using a knife or spatula cover each cupcake with icing and top with sprinkles.