It’s Autumn, in case you hadn’t noticed from the falling leaves, the chilly mornings and my abundance of pumpkin-based recipes! Have you seen my Country Pumpkin Cookies? If not, why not? Click here for the recipe! I digress.. this post is all about the Autumn Kale Salad!
This Autumn Kale Salad has been a regular in Tara’s Busy Kitchen in different forms for a while now. I just adore kale and it works so well in salads as well as a delicious cooked vegetable in its own right.
I find kale wilts when you massage it gently with a dressing. This softens the leaves slightly which makes it easier to chew and digest. Just make sure you have clean hands!
This Autumn Kale Salad really is an assembly job. Just make sure the separate components are made or cooked first and then you are good to go.
I made this Autumnal Kale Salad one sunny afternoon for lunch with a few of my favourite ladies. We were having a creative workshop day and this was the perfect fuel to keep us all motivated. Full of the flavours of autumn. It also meant that I could open my Doctor Seaweeds, Weed & Wonderful seaweed infused rapeseed oil for the dressing. I had been eager to give it a try ever since it landed on my doorstep. Their organic seaweed infused oil is a healthy and easy way to benefit from seaweed’s pure sea goodness. It’s perfect in a dark green Autumnal Kale Salad like this as well as steamed vegetables, stir-fries, and grilled fridge. It’s a great way to enjoy the umami flavour of the sea.
The Autumnal Kale Salad went down a storm with my gorgeous inspirational friends and was delicious when served with warm bread and plenty of salted butter. I recommend you do the same. Why not invite your friends over to share it with you?
- 1/4 cup quick pickled onions
- 1 large bag kale, leaves removed from stalks. You want a large bowl full.
- 1/2 butternut squash
- 1 large apple, chopped
- 1 large pear, chopped
- 4 fresh figs, quartered
- 1/3 cup walnuts, chopped
- 60g/ 2 ounces goat cheese, crumbled
- 1/4 cup cider vinegar
- 2 tablespoons maple syrup
- 1 garlic clove, finely chopped
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- Pinch of chilli flakes
- 1/2 cup Doctor Seaweed, seaweed infused rapeseed oil
- 1 red onion, thinly sliced
- 1/2 cup warm water
- 3/4 cup apple cider vinegar
- 1 1/2 tablespoons sugar
- 1 teaspoon coarse salt
- Preheat the oven to 425 degrees F/ 220 degrees C/ Gas 6. Place the chopped butternut squash (about 2cm square in size) on a baking sheet in a single layer. Roast for about 30 minutes or until tender and slightly browned. Put to one side to cool slightly.
- Make the quick pickled onions as they need to sit for a while. Place the onions in a jar or cup. In a bowl, whisk together the water, vinegar, sugar and salt until the sugar and salt dissolve. Pour over the sliced onions. Let sit at room temperature for an hour.
- Now make the dressing by mixing all of the ingredients altogether.
- Place the kale in a large bowl and pour over half of the dressing. Massage the kale with the dressing for a minute or so until it softens. Place the softened kale in a large serving bowl or on a platter.
- Be creative with your toppings. Create your own design. You can use my images as inspiration but of course feel free to chop and change to your hearts desire.
- Once you have assembled your Autumnal Kale Salad drizzle with more dressing if desired. Toss all the ingredients together before serving.
Disclaimer: I was sent some Doctor Seaweeds, Weed & Wonderful seaweed infused rapeseed oil to sample. I was not paid for this post and all views are my own as always.
Photographs – Angel Wade.