This simple and delicious dip came about when I was sent some Za’tar from Steenbergs Organics. I had some girlfriends coming for an alfresco supper and I wanted to make some dips to go alongside some crunchy vegetables and pita bread.
I had purchased some Wootten White feta style cheese from Frome Independant Market and was looking for a way of incorporating the cheese into my menu in an unusual way. This dip came to mind and seemed like a very social starter to share with my lovely friends alongside a crisp glass of local white wine in the early summer sunshine.
- 6 ounces of Wooten White feta style cheese or other, room temperature
- 4 ounces cream cheese, room temperature
- Zest of 1 small lemon
- 3 tablespoons garlic oil, plus more for serving
- 2 teaspoons za’atar, plus more for serving
- Method for the garlic oil: Preheat oven to 180C. In a small oven-safe pan, combine the peeled, halved garlic cloves and the olive oil. The oil should cover the cloves.
- Roast until the garlic is just golden, about 13-15 minutes. Let the garlic oil cool completely in the pan, and then strain and discard the cloves. You will have 4 tablespoons of garlic oil, 3 for the recipe and 1 for drizzling.
- Method for the dip: Whiz the Wooten White feta, cream cheese, lemon zest, za'tar and garlic oil in a food processor until very smooth and creamy.
- Garnish the dip with the additional tablespoon of garlic oil and a sprinkling of za’atar. Serve immediately with your favorite vegetables, pita bread or crackers.