As someone who is always on the go running from job to job I always like to have a little something in my bag to snack on. In the past, it has always been a Nakd bar for ease but since whipping up a batch or two of these Date & Nut Energy Balls over the last couple of weeks I have to say I think my head might just have been turned. Not only are these little balls one of the simplest things I have ever made they only require 3 basic ingredients and about 10 minutes of your life to whizz together. The first thing you will need is some good quality soft dates. They don’t have to be medjool but they do need to be soft and squidgy. I have been buying mine by the boxful at my local Turkish supermarket but I have also seen dates amongst the fruit section in the supermarket. A small box in my local shop costs me £2.59 and I can make 2-3 batches of these Date & Nut Energy Balls from it. The second ingredient is smooth peanut butter. I use Pip & Nut for all my smooth peanut butter needs but you, of course, use your own favourite brand. I just like the creaminess that Pip & Nut smooth peanut butter brings to the table. The third ingredients are nuts. I use mixed nuts from the health food store. A mixture of nuts like peanuts, cashews, almonds and walnuts works well but again you can almost go with whatever you fancy here. One variety would work too if you wanted a simplify the flavour profile.
- 16 soft dates, stones removed
- 3 heaped tablespoons of smooth peanut butter
- 2 cups of mixed nuts
- Throw all of the ingredients into a food processor and whizz for a good 3-4 minutes until everything is finely chopped.
- Remove the lid and give the mixture a squeeze with your fingers. If it comes together you can go onto to stage 3. If not, throw in a couple more dates or a dribble of warm water.
- Take a small amount into your hands and roll into a ball. Place on a baking sheet. Continue until all the mixture is used. You will probably make somewhere around 20 balls but it does depend on sizing.
- Place the balls into the fridge to chill for about an hour although this is not strictly necessary. Enjoy before or after your fitness class or as a snack alongside a cup of tea.
Photographs: Cabinet Jewellery