It’s been a whole year since I found myself in New York and it got me thinking about all those yummy sweet treats that the Americans do so well. Yes, I love a crunchy English biscuit but sometimes a doughy, soft American style cookie is just what a girl (or boy) needs. Am I right? These Gingerbread & Chocolate Chip Cookies really do sum up autumn in NYC in my opinion. Pair a cookie with a frothy coffee and you are all set for a taste sensation in your mouth.
I recently made a batch of these cookies when I had a whole load of Halloween chocolate and the gentle gingerbread spices in my spice cupboard from my previous recipe Gingerbread Loaf With Cinnamon Cream Cheese Frosting to use up.
They are best served still warm from the oven when the chocolate chunks are still a little melted and the outside has that fresh-baked crunch. I am so into these cookies I can’t even tell you how much!
What’s amazing is that this cookie dough freezes really well and doesn’t affect the consistency or flavour of the cookie. I baked four and froze four although I don’t know why! They only lasted in the freezer a day before being hauled out to bake. These cookies do not hang about long!
Gingerbread & Chocolate Chip American Style Cookies
- 125 g unsalted butter
- 175 g dark brown soft sugar can be subbed for light or half & half
- 1 egg
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- 280 g plain flour
- 1 1/2 tsp ground ginger
- 1/2 tsp ground cinnamon
- 1/2 tsp grated nutmeg
- 1 1/2 tsp baking powder
- 1/2 tsp bicarbonate of soda
- Pinch sea salt
- 200 g dark chocolate broken into small pieces you could use chocolate chips. Milk & white chocolate will also work
- Add the butter and sugar to a bowl and using an electric whisk beat together until creamy.
- Add in the egg and vanilla and beat again until combined.
- Add in the spices, flour, baking powder, and bicarbonate of soda and mix again until all combined. It is quite a solid mixture. Finally, add in your chocolate pieces and mix again.
- Place the cookie dough in a bowl, cover and put in the fridge for an hour to chill. Alternatively into the freezer for 30 minutes.
- Whilst your cookie dough is chilling preheat your oven to 180C fan or 200C regular. Gas 4.
- After chilling, separate your cookie dough into 8 equal sized pieces and roll into balls.
- Place the cookies onto lined baking sheets. They spread when cooking so 2 trays with 4 cookies each is best. Or do what I did, bake four & freeze four.
- Once baked leave them to cool on the tray for about 30 minutes before eating!