This sweet and spicy gingerbread loaf with spiced cream cheese frosting is a perfect alternative to Christmas cake for those who don’t like a fruit cake option at Yuletide. I do however love a traditional Christmas cake so will most probably make both! After all, it is the season to be jolly and this second lockdown gives us an excuse to get our festive bake on doesn’t it?
You could of course omit the cinnamon cream cheese frosting if you fancied a more everyday cake as the frosting does take it up a notch or two. Decorate with mini gingerbread men, sprinkles, edible glitter, and a dusting of cinnamon. Go crazy with the decoration for your Christmas festivities. Make this Gingerbread Loaf With Cinnamon Cream Cheese Frosting a real centerpiece.
Gingerbread Loaf With Cinnamon Cream Cheese Frosting
- Electric whisk (optional), 2lb loaf tin
- 225 g unsalted butter
- 225 g dark brown sugar
- 125 g black treacle
- 375 g plain flour
- 4 tsp ground ginger
- 2 tsp ground cinnamon
- 3 medium eggs
- 225 g whole milk
- 2 tsp bicarbonate of soda
- 115 g unsalted butter at room temperature
- 200 g cream cheese
- 350 g icing sugar
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- 1/2 tsp ground cinnamon
- 1/4 tsp ground ginger
- Mini gingerbread for decoration optional
- Sprinkles edible glitter, cinnamon for decoration (optional)
For The Cake
- Preheat your oven to 180C. Grease and line a 2lb loaf tin.
- In a large saucepan gently melt the butter, sugar snd black treacle together. Allow to cool for about 10 minutes.
- Add the spices and flour and mix together.
- Add the eggs one by one stirring until combined.
- Warm the milk gently in a small saucepan. Add the bicarbonate of soda and let it fizz and froth a little.
- Pour into the cake batter slowly mixing continuously.
- Pour cake mixture into your prepared cake tin and bake in your preheated oven for 50 minutes to 1 hour or until baked right through. Leave to cool in the tin for 10 minutes then fully cool on a wire rack.
For The Frosting
- Add the room temperature butter and cream cheese to a mixing bowl. Using an electric whisk or hand whisk beat together. Gradually add the icing sugar mixing carefully. Add in the spices and vanilla and mix again.
- Decorate the cooled cake with frosting, sprinkles and mini gingerbread men.