Portobello Mushroom Rarebit
Write a review
- 4 large flat mushrooms, stems removed
- olive oil, for brushing
- 25g butter
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 1 tbsp plain flour
- 75ml Black Tor Brewery porter or othe stout
- 140g vegetarian mature cheddar, grated
- 1 tsp English mustard
- 2 eggs, beaten
- Brush the mushrooms generously all over with oil.
- Place gill-side up in a baking dish, bake for 15 mins, then remove from the oven.
- To make the rarebit topping, melt the butter in a saucepan over a medium heat and fry the onion for 10-15 mins until soft and translucent.
- Add the flour and cook for 1 min. Reduce the heat, then add the Guinness, cheese, mustard and seasoning, stirring until the cheese has melted.
- Add the eggs and stir constantly until the mixture thickens, about 5 mins, but don’t overcook or you’ll end up with scrambled eggs.
- Spoon the rarebit mix into the mushroom caps and set aside.
- Just before serving, heat the grill to high. Place the mushrooms under the grill and cook for a few mins until the rarebit is puffed and golden.
Tara's Busy Kitchen (and other stories) https://tarasbusykitchen.com/