I have made these fritters many times for my friends and family and they are always consistently good and incredibly tasty. They are versatile and I wouldn’t hesitate making them for brunch, lunch or dinner.
For brunch you could top with a fried egg and for lunch and dinner serve with a green salad and some warmed crusty bread for dunking. So good!
- 1 tablespoon tomato purée
- 2 cloves of garlic
- 1 can chopped tomatoes
- ½ a bunch of fresh basil
- Salt and pepper to taste
- 1 large free-range egg
- 400 g ricotta cheese
- 1 whole nutmeg, for grating
- 1 lemon
- 40 g Cheddar cheese
- 2 tablespoon plain flour
- Crack the egg into a mixing bowl, add the ricotta, finely grate in ¼ of the nutmeg, the lemon zest and cheddar, add the flour, then beat together. Season with salt and pepper.
- Put 1 tablespoon of olive oil into the frying pan, then use a tablespoon to spoon in 8 large dollops of the mixture, turning carefully when nice and golden. Set the Fritters to one side.
- In the same frying pan heat 1 tablespoon of olive oil and add the garlic. As soon as you start to smell the garlic in the oil add the chopped tomatoes, the tomato purée and season with salt and pepper. Simmer for 5 minutes until the sauce begins to thicken.
- Place the fitters on top of the sauce and simmer gently for another 5 minutes to heat through the fritters.
- Serve immediately with a fresh green salad and some crusty bread.